Blackwell Construction was formed in 2014 by Douglas Blackwell, who has built on his professional reputation as a sub-contractor to form his own firm.
Doug has since built a dedicated team around his core belief; that ‘“good enough” is not enough’.
Blackwell Construction has successfully undertaken and managed a variety of domestic and commercial jobs for a vast range of private and commercial clients across Melbourne.
If you are looking for a competent, experienced construction firm, who bring with them a wealth of experience and wide range of reliable contacts, please contact Blackwell Construction on the details below.
Doug is a committed professional, who has learned his passion for construction from having deep roots in the timber and construction industries across the US, Tasmania and Victoria.
Doug has a Diploma in Building Construction and Building Construction Management. While his passion lies in natural timber and restoring heritage features, Doug is equally at home within a domestic or a commercial site.
Career highlights so far include:
- Renovating an Intensive Care Unit whilst still in operation – maintaining patient safety whilst upgrading facilities at Melbourne’s busiest cancer hospital
- Emergency callout to severe flooding at LaTrobe University – getting the centre up and running within 2 months of major storm damage.
- Transforming a single-story Dandenong ranges cottage into a lavish 2-story family home.
Over a career spanning 45 years Phil has had a huge variety of roles in the building industry, from a site supervisor; carpenter; registered builder; designer; to project manager. Phil is our resident timber expert as he has a Master of Forest Science and a Bachelor of Forest Science from the University of Melbourne. Phil is also a published author and honorary research fellow, with extensive technical and practical knowledge of timber manufacturing; milling; and construction practices.
As a resident of Creswick, Victoria, he is currently involved in the Creswick Woollen Mills; helping to design and implement new tourist experiences and managing select store fit-outs across Melbourne and Victoria.
Career highlights include:
- Wood processing adviser at the Forest Science Institute of Vietnam, in Hanoi – over a 12 month period I helped the team to improve their processing of plantation material, and learned a great deal about the Vietnamese culture in return
- Facility Manager for The University of Melbourne; CRC Wood Innovations, Timber Research Centre – during this project we undertook ground-breaking research into microwave modification processes to develop unique timber products.
- Timber consultant, independent inspector and expert witness for clients around Australia and New Zealand.
With over 14 years’ experience in commercial and domestic concreting, David is a sought-after professional in his field. His knowledge also extends to specialist concrete finishing techniques including; exposed aggregate; polished floors; and a wide variety of colouring techniques.
Based in Ballarat, David has a keen interest in driveways and exposed aggregate entertaining areas.
With an initial background in concreting, Matthew is in the process of changing career. Currently studying his diploma in building design, Matthew provides another key resource for the team.
With a focus on solving problems and improving design; Matthew is keen to add value to all his design projects once he completes his diploma in 2019.
Mark Van Wyland